soireadthisbooktoday

So, I Read This Book Today . . .

Editing Fees and Guidelines

I look forward to working with you!

Death's Hand
S.M. Reine
Perfect
J.C. Mells
Sinners & Sorcerers: Four Urban Fantasy Thrillers
J.R. Rain, Scott Nicholson, Robert J. Crane, S.M. Reine, Daniel Arenson

Pandemic

Pandemic - Daniel Kalla Dr. Kalla has written an exceptionally thoughtful first novel. The historical background is correct, and the medical information is solid and well written for a lay audience to be able to understand. Although this is not a novel to be immediately understood by someone totally without a science background, the fascinating concept of the book should keep a layperson interested enough in the beginning to lead them to greater and greater understanding of the science involved. The concept of the book is deeply frightening in the utter reality of its possibilities. The world is, in my knowledge, deeply incapable, at this point in time, of meeting a true flu pandemic - which Dr. Kalla goes out of his way to prove is greatly overdue.

Another point which deserves great admiration is Dr. Kalla's insight of, and introduction to, the Muslim religion in all of its diversity of thought. While giving deep insight into the vitriolic mindset of the terrorist, his portrayal of the Muslim people stops not with the twisted Kabaal and Sabri, nor with the mindless obedience of their followers. Dr. Kalla also draws a thoughtful picture of the other side of the Muslim religion in his portrayal of Inspector Eleish and his family. Eleish and others like him are the quiet side of the faith, those who have studied their religion, only to find in it the deep, abiding spirituality from which they gather strength in their day-to-day lives. It is not my point here, in any way, to delve into a discussion of religion. It is, however, refreshing to read an author who is not only willing, but capable of, showing both sides of the issue in a clear and understandable manner. Especially to a person who, like myself, is not a religious person and never has been. It is, however, interesting to me that we tend to paint all Muslims with the same brush, as terrorists and monsters. That is, in my estimation, like saying that all Americans are members of the Klan or the White Supremest movement, or practice Christian Religious Fundamentalism. An awfully wide brush for an extremely diverse population.

Pick it up for the solid science, or the rollicking storyline, or just for a bit of excitement. But do pick up this book - I doubt you will regret it. However, it probably isn't such a good idea to read it on an overcrowded jetliner, as I did, for several hours when your seatmate has a cold - - it made me rather jumpy, it did! :-)
Comment | Permalink