soireadthisbooktoday

So, I Read This Book Today . . .

Editing Fees and Guidelines

I look forward to working with you!

Death's Hand
S.M. Reine
Perfect
J.C. Mells
Sinners & Sorcerers: Four Urban Fantasy Thrillers
J.R. Rain, Scott Nicholson, Robert J. Crane, S.M. Reine, Daniel Arenson

The Trading Society

The Trading Society - Eric   Martin For Marcus Cowle everything in his life revolved around business and the singular matter of making money, obscene amounts of wealth other men with similar aspirations only imagined of acquiring in fanciful, hopeful daydreams. – Eric Martin, “The Trading Society”

“There are no heroes...in life, the monsters win.”
― George R.R. Martin

“When bad things happen to men we say it’s terrible, but when bad things happen to women we say that’s just a cultural practice,” says Lou de Baca, U.S. Ambassador at Large, Office to Combat and Monitor Human Trafficking.”
- Nita Belles, In Our Backyard: A Christian Perspective on Human Trafficking in the United States

Eric Martin ripped my heart out. He tore my soul and poured salt into the wounds. He ripped and shredded, and poured salt into the wounds. Listen to me. I sound like one of those sicko BDSM groupies, reveling in my own self-humiliation, don’t I? But I mean this in a wholly different way. A deep and heartfelt way that opens up my eyes and pours acid into my soul.

Martin has written a gripping, horrifying fictionalized book on the revolting subject of modern day slavery. As Siddharth Kara says, in Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern Slavery: “Every year, hundreds of thousands of women and children are abducted, deceived, seduced, or sold into forced prostitution, coerced to service hundreds if not thousands of men before being discarded.” It is easy to think of this as being a ‘foreign’ problem. Sure, it could happen in India or the Arabian countries, but it could never happen in the good old U. S. of A.!

R.i.g.h.t. Martin brings the problem home, setting his story in the Windy City itself, Chicago, the heart and soul of the Midwest. Set within the prestigious confines of Great Northern University, Martin pulls you deeply into his story, a story of politics and power, of horror and greed and brutal, bloody deeds beyond the comprehension of normal human beings. This is not just sex slavery, in all its horror. This is blood lust and brutality at it’s most savage. Savagery carried out by the wealthy and the privileged, those whose selfsame power places them beyond the reach of the law, beyond the reach of morality or honour. Further, this is a story of the people who provide the victims, as Martin writes, “. . .(who) dealt with clients of a prominent stature with refined tastes, men such as Commander Omega and Sheik Rahm, demanding quality merchandise of a higher grade. To obtain this fine product required precision and thoroughness in preparation.” These are men with no souls, whose only goal is to find the prettiest, the smartest, the most profitable young women, whose sale will enrich their own coffers by millions of dollars. Young women who can look forward to a short, sharp life of pain and brutality, humiliation, blood and savage death.

Martin doesn’t pull his punches in this book. He doesn’t wrap things up in a neat little bow and end it all with a happily-ever-after. He writes a very real thriller about a very real problem, and he does it in a manner that will literally take your breath away. I wouldn’t recommend this for the weak of stomach. Instead, I highly recommend this to the reader who is willing to go where many won’t – into the deepest, darkest corners of the human psyche. Who isn’t afraid to look straight into the eye of evil and accept the consequences. This book is, in so many words, amazingly brutal, horrifying and breathtaking by turns, and I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. I have read many horror books over the years, but none of them can beat the horror that resides within truth.

Very highly recommended. Not for the weak-willed.