soireadthisbooktoday

So, I Read This Book Today . . .

Editing Fees and Guidelines

I look forward to working with you!

Death's Hand
S.M. Reine
Perfect
J.C. Mells
Sinners & Sorcerers: Four Urban Fantasy Thrillers
J.R. Rain, Scott Nicholson, Robert J. Crane, S.M. Reine, Daniel Arenson

Interesting world building/horrible narrator

Hard Spell - Justin Gustainis

"My name’s Markowski, a Detective Sergeant on the Scranton PD’s Supernatural Crimes Investigation Unit. I carry a badge. Also, a crucifix, some wooden stakes, a big vial of holy water, and a 9mm Beretta loaded with silver bullets."  - Markowski, Hard Spell

Death is when the monsters get you. - Stephen King

Scranton, Pennsylvania fifty years after WWII is a different place than one might expect.  When millions of Americans poured into Europe to fight in the war, they picked up a little something extra to bring back home besides war wives and interesting STD's. Quaint little things like cases of werewolves and vampires and zombies (oh, my!) Needless to say, it changed the way life is lived in the good ol' US of A. Instead of McCarthy going after 'Commies' he gets to do real, honest-to-goodness witch hunts - for real witches. . .

There is a lot to like about Hard Spell. There is humor and a great deal of creativity that I got a kick out of. Gustainis writes an engaging tale with a strong noir flavour which reminds me quite a bit of the feeling I get from the Nightside stories by Simon R. Green - one of my favorite series of all time. There is a feeling of reality in the very unreal situations of the book, which was pleasing. However, the role of women characters in the book was, well, I hesitate to say "demeaning" but it comes very close to the razor edge of treating women as lesser beings - something that I found less than enjoyable. Even the female SWAT team member was portrayed in a less than admirable manner - something that irritated me to no end. I wanted to shake the author and remind him that "noir" doesn't equate with "testosterone poisoning."

I listened to the book - the Audible edition. As much as I enjoyed Gustainis' work, I cannot say the same for the narrator. He was, in a word, completely irritating. What narrator worth his salt cannot be bothered to check pronunciations?!?! The guy STINKS at pronunciation! Come on - you don't know how to pronounce "were" as in "werewolf??" Weer (like a Bostonian we're)  is not even close to correct, Peter. It is rather insulting to the author that you can't be bothered to take a moment to learn pronunciations.  Especially for such common terms.

Overall, I knocked a full star off for poor narration. Another half star for some problems with trite characterizations (especially the handling of Markowski's first partner) and with his tendency to treat his characters with something less than respect. Overall, however, this was a completely bad introduction to the series. I hope to find a more well rounded volume with the next in the series, Evil Dark: Occult Crimes Unit Investigations, Book 2 - though I won't be buying the Audible edition. Five more minutes of Peter Brooke and I may have been forced to throw my reader across the room. . .

Source: http://soireadthisbooktoday.com