soireadthisbooktoday

So, I Read This Book Today . . .

Editing Fees and Guidelines

I look forward to working with you!

Death's Hand
S.M. Reine
Perfect
J.C. Mells
Sinners & Sorcerers: Four Urban Fantasy Thrillers
J.R. Rain, Scott Nicholson, Robert J. Crane, S.M. Reine, Daniel Arenson

On the Prowl

On the Prowl - Sunny, Eileen Wilks, Karen Chance, Patricia Briggs Briggs rocks. The rest? Meh.

love anthologies. They give me a little taste of writers I may not have read before, and a glance into my possibilities for new story lines. This anthology was a jewel for showing me more of the good, and the just plain terrible!

Briggs is awesome as usual. I am a long time fan, and always enjoy everything she writes. I am glad her husband posted what he did - it makes sense that the story wasn't originally planned as a series. She writes so well, it is not surprising that her editors (and readers) are going to love her work enough to push a short story into a full series.

The Wilks story landed Eileen smack into my list of 'writers I haven't read before but are now on my must read list". Her Lily Yu character deals with being a tiny little lady cop of the Oriental variety (believe me, it is HARD being female cop, much less clicking off ALL the boxes in the "I'm not a white Anglo Saxon male" list). She does it with guts, panache, and a great sense of humour. She is a great pleasure to read about. The other characters are well written, believable (within the purview of who and what they are) and likable. Overall, another good reason to like the anthology.

I first read Chance in "Inked" Inked and enjoyed her story there. I liked the humour, and have Chance down for what I call my "library list" - books I will pick up first at the library to read, and make my decisions from there. If I like her writing in a full novel form, then I will add her to my list of "must reads." Don't know what makes her writing push me towards the library list for now? Will update under one of her novels when I get one read. I have very high hopes.

And then, finally, there is Sunny. Pardon me while I do something truly childish (crosses eyes, sticks finger down throat and gags.) OK, there, got it out of my system. Let's do this - I am not even going to try with this one. I was nauseous within the first page or so, and never finished it - and will NEVER EVER EVER buy anything by her - and will be highly disappointed if she shows up in another anthology of such excellent writers. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, EDITORS?!?!?!

If not for Sunny, this would be a five-star read.